Saturday, May 24, 2008

To Challenge Myself

I've never been one to take a lot of pictures. I think it has to do with a couple traumatic experiences I had as a kid. There was one time when I dropped my parent's camera, and although it didn't shatter, it never worked again. I don't remember my parent's yelling at me, but for us it was the nicest camera we had ever had and I know they were very upset. I felt awful! And there was another time that I remember being made fun of for not getting everyone's heads in the picture. (This was long before digital cameras.) I don't remember who the picture was of, but it was a group of people who didn't get together often. I really felt like a screw-up. Obviously photography isn't something that comes naturally to me. I thought that when I bought my digital camera a couple years ago that I would take a lot more pictures because I wouldn't have to worry about the cost of film, but I still don't take hardly any pictures (but when I do, I make sure I grip the camera well).

In my world, the only things I ever see people taking pictures of is their children and their pets. Surely their has to be something else for me to record. My life cannot be without moments that should be remembered, can it? Often I view my life as mundane, unchanging, and basically repitious. I want to challenge myself to look past the monotony. To look for the unique, or at least to look for that part of me that not everyone knows. I want to find myself--my passions--and share some of them with you.

Disclaimer: I'm not a photographer. I don't claim to be good at this. Actually I would say that I am very bad at taking pictures, but maybe they'll improve. Either way, I hope to share a bit of me with you.

No comments: